Prix Galien Research Award
Dr. Ernesto Schiffrin
Dr. Ernesto Schiffrin is one of Canada’s most outstanding clinician scientists whose bench to bedside insights into the mechanisms and therapy of hypertension have had a transformative effect on our understanding and management of cardiovascular disease. Born in Buenos Aires where he completed his medical degree and internal medicine training, he moved to Canada and obtained a PhD in experimental medicine at McGill. Subsequently, he became director of the experimental hypertension laboratory and hypertension clinic at the Clinical Research Institute from 1981 to 2005 when he moved to the Lady David Institute and the Jewish General Hospital to become the physician-in-chief.
Dr Jean Gray, president of the Jury and Dr Ernesto Schiffrin, vice-chair (research),
department of Medicine, McGill University
His laboratory has elucidated the differential beneficial effects of ACE inhibitors, angiotension receptor antagonists, mineralocorticoid receptor blockers and calcium channel antagonists with respect to their role on vascular structure and endothelial function in human essential hypertension and diabetes. The key elements of his innovative research include demonstration of:
- Natriuretic peptides as biomarkers of the severity of heart failure and inhibitors of aldosterone secretion
- The role of increased endothelin in experimental hypertension as well as the role of overexpression of the endothelin-1 gene in small arteries of patients with severe essential hypertension thereby leading to the use of endothelin antagonists in resistant hypertension
- The overexpression of human endothelin-1 in the endothelium of a transgenic mouse and its role in atherosclerosis and aortic aneurysms
- Nephrolysins as biomarkers of severe heart failure led to the successful development of a combination of an angiotensin receptor blocker and a nephrolysin inhibitor for the treatment of heart failure
- The impact of the immune system in the development of hypertension which could lead to new forms of treatment
Dr Ernesto Schiffrin, vice-chair (research), department of Medicine, McGill University
His research excellence was recognized by the receipt of a Tier 1 Canada Research Chair, a 7-year First Pilot Foundation Grant from CIHR, Fellowship in the Royal Society of Canada, Member of the Order of Canada, the 2013 Canadian Cardiovascular Society Distinguished Scientist Award, the 2015 Canadian Society of Clinical Investigation Scientist Award, and the 2016 National Margolese Prize on Cardiovascular Disorders. He has played leadership roles in numerous national and international scientific bodies culminating in 2016 in his appointment as Editor-in-Chief of the American Journal of Hypertension.